Wednesday, February 12, 2014
 

 

Join our E-Mail list!
Send an e-mail request to
subscribe@empirestatenews.net,
with the word "Subscribe" in the
subject line.

 

For site information and
viewing tips,tag nike free 5.0


All content copyright © 2003-2007
Statewide News Network, Inc.
Contents may not be reproduced
in any form without express written consent

More wage theft cases resolved in 2013 than ever before

ALBANY – More than 6,700 wage theft cases were resolved in New York in 2013, more than in any other year. This resulted in the disbursement of nearly $23 million to more than 12,700 workers who were not paid their proper minimum wage, overtime pay or fringe benefits. This represents an increase of more than 12 percent in the number of closed wage theft cases compared to 2012.

“My administration has made it a priority to ensure workers in New York receive the compensation they deserve from their employers,” Governor Andrew Cuomo said. “When employers don’t pay proper wages and benefits under the law, not only is it illegal, but it is also unfair to the majority of other businesses in New York that do follow the rules. These figures from last year show that the State will not tolerate the abuse of workers and we will continue to actively defend their rights. I urge any worker who needs our help with labor issues to contact the Department of Labor immediately.”

The New York State Department of Labor (DOL), which has one of the largest labor standards enforcement staffs in the nation, continues to recover millions of dollars in stolen wages each year for workers through consistent and active enforcement.

“This is about much more than just numbers. This is about men and women who worked hard and were not paid their proper wages,” said DOL Commissioner Peter Rivera. “I urge any worker who believes he or she is being cheated out of money to contact the Department of Labor so we can investigate.”

In 2013, 6,533 new cases were opened and a total of 6,794 cases were closed. That is an increase of 36% in the number of cases brought to completion and closed as compared to 2012. 2013 also marks the first year in recent memory that more cases were closed than were opened, which is a direct result of changes to DOL’s investigative procedures.

Prior to 2013, DOL’s labor standards policy for investigations was to look back six years, which delayed many cases by forcing investigators to conduct lengthy searches for documents that no longer existed and interview individuals who did not remember that far back.

An annual breakdown of the percentage of cases completed since 2008 is as follows:

Year

2008

2009

2010

2011

2012

2013

Investigations Completed

100%

100%

95%

78%

71%

58%